The assailants of a deadly mall attack in Kenya’s capital last year likely died in the assault, an FBI official says.
The remarks were made by Dennis Brady, the FBI Legal Attaché in the Kenyan capital, Narobi, in an interview posted on the FBI website.
“We believe, as do the Kenyan authorities, that the four gunmen inside the mall were killed,” said Brady.
“Our ERT (Evidence Response Team) made significant finds, and there is no evidence that any of the attackers escaped from the area where they made their last stand.”
Kenyan authorities say they have recovered the charred remains of bodies, which are believed to be those of the attackers, from the debris in the mall.
Al-Shabab, a Somali-based al-Qaeda-linked militant group, claimed responsibility for the bombings and shootings that took place on September 21 last year in Narobi’s Westgate Mall, killing 67 people.
The militant group said it carried out the deadly assault in retaliation for the presence of Kenyan troops in Somalia.
In addition, Brady said FBI officials arrived at the scene on the same day of the mall attack to assist the Kenyan investigation and prosecution.
Meanwhile, four individuals have been charged in court by Kenyan authorities in connection with the case.
The FBI legal attaché claimed that the four suspects are directly connected to those who physically carried out the assault.
Brady added that investigations are continuing to identify the entire network that carried out the mall attack.
Source: Press TV